12 January 2013

Post-Holidays: I Got On the Scale for the First Time

Hi, my name is Sweeney and I made this blog so I can...blahblahblah.

     Honestly (why lie to strangers?), I made this blog because everybody needs a friend.  I'm sure you all have friends in your real lives, but in case you aren't satisfied with them or actually do need a friend, here I am!!!  Each person that knows me has a different description of me, but they can all agree on one thing: no subject is off-limits with me.  I'm the type of girl that can talk about anything with anyone, and I intend to do the same in this blog.  I share and discuss things very bluntly, and if you are not comfortable with awkward topics and plain truth, this may not be the place for you.  However, if you DO need somebody to tell things as they are, that's what I'm here to do.  I'm here to be that BFF that everyone (girl or guy) needs at some time or another.  Or, if nobody reads this blog, at least I have a personal diary for myself, right?

Bottom line: If you are looking for a place for some advice, motivation, things to do, or just some stories to read (because you're bored or just plain nosy), you're in the right place!  Let the immodest sharing begin!!!

     To mark the start of my blog, I had no idea what I wanted to start off with.  But, I did find something to talk about!  Okay so, here we are, as winter break from college winds down, Christmas is over, and the new year has started.  I made a promise to not weigh myself and to just enjoy the festivities...but now, let me be real: the only promises I'm good at keeping are the ones that I make to other people.  I got on the scale today: 157.4 pounds.  That's about 71.4 kilograms for those of you who think in metric. Here's what the hell happened:

  • My bones are heavy.  So are my muscles.
  • The scale must be off because I'm in my pajamas.
  • The scale must be off because it's broken.  
  • I didn't poop today.  
  • My period is coming up soon so I must be a little bloated.
  • I'm stressed out because of grad school applications.
     Actually, I'm just amazing at making excuses.  Here's what really happened: I have a problematic sweet tooth, I don't get any exercise, and I didn't control my portions.  That's the unadulterated truth.  With all the time off from school, family comes over, and even though I may not get along with all the relatives that visit, I sure can get along with all the delicious food that's around.  There's also the ginormous box of chocolates that my mom gets for all of us to enjoy (but we all know it's actually for me).  So there I was, picking at chocolate all day and eating all sorts of decadent dishes that I don't even want to name because I'm already drooling just thinking about them right now.

     The other grand thing about winter break is that my dear boyfriend (hereafter referred to as DB) and I get to step away from the pain that is college life for us: getting up early, getting up extra early to make commutes, classes, exams, papers, lab reports, etc.  Tack on the grad school apps we both had to deal with and you can guess that Fall 2012 was pure mayhem (but that will be another blog post).  My point is that we actually get to spend real, quality time with each other.  Most of the time that means going out (or staying in with my parents) on dates.  So either we are going out to eat or I (sometimes with Mom) am whipping up something at home.  Mom and I both have the (good for guests, bad for my waistline) mentality that we should make something nice for DB whenever he comes over.  He really enjoys the way we cook: high in quantity and high in spices.  It's always a great feeling to cook for someone that is appreciative.

     That's fine and dandy but apart from all the experimentation that goes on for dinner (baked ziti, garlic knots, parathas, roti, rice, pasta, turkey meatballs...), I never feel complete if DB doesn't have dessert to mark the end of a day spent together.  So cue the cookies and anything that has butter and sugar in it.  Given all my free time, I have been indulging in one of my most favorite hobbies: baking!  I love to bake desserts.  I can't say I'm a big cooking fan but baking, there are no words to express my love for the rewarding feeling of savoring something I worked on.  But I am digressing.

     Back to that boldfaced truth, I cannot keep away from sweets and a part of me tries to reason with myself: I work very hard during the semester, I deserve to enjoy myself.  There is no excuse to justify pigging out that much.  I'm not saying that it's not okay to splurge once in a while.  Just don't be me and splurge everyday under the excuse of needing a break from stress.  My eating habits have not been very healthy as of late and I intend to make amends with my body and health.

     Here's another problem.  I am too lazy and unmotivated to exercise.  I have always hated exercising, seeing it as a mundane chore in which you stare off into space and do some repetitive activity.  However, exercise is very vital to weight loss, metabolism, blood circulation, heart and lung health, and basically everything else.  I will suck it up and find something that gets my blood flowing for at least thirty minutes per day.  I never did like exercising with other people, but maybe I will try it again.  It could be fun.

     It's not just about looking good.  It's also about feeling good.  That feeling you get when your jeans don't feel like they're about to rip.  That feeling you get when you can sprint to class and not gasp for air like you were drowning.  That feeling you get knowing you're feeding your body with nutritious, useful food and not silly, empty calories.  Got it?

     Back to that looking good part, though.  DB always says I look amazing and beautiful and never notices when I gain weight.  Admittedly, I gain weight proportionally so no body part of mine gets way bigger than anything else.  My very honest mother, however, will subtly tell me to cut down on my sweet intake.  This hurts my feelings at first because it feels like she just called me fat.  I don't even realize how much weight I've gained until I feel a little pudgy around the collarbone...or worse, somebody takes a picture of me and my chubby cheeks are swallowing my eyes.  And my second chin is swallowing my neck.  It's not until after I get on (and repeatedly curse at) the scale that I realize how much damage has actually been done.

I want to be a healthy weight.  Not just for my looks but for my overall well-being.  I need goals.

     In the upcoming weeks I will attempt to sporadically post about my goals and progress related to my weight-loss plans.  Here are some numbers to give you an idea of what body I am working with:

Weight (mid-December 2012): about 150 pounds (I don't remember exactly)
Weight (at present, mid-January 2013): 157.4 pounds
Current Body Measurements
Height: 5 ft 3 in. (1.6 m)
Bust: 37.5 in. (95.25 cm)
Waist: 30.5 in. (77.47 cm)
Hips: 42 in. (106.68 cm)
    
     I am currently not planning to post any pictures of my body.  I'm kind of iffy (read: I don't like the idea of it) on the idea of putting pictures of myself in a public blog post.  Call it privacy or paranoia or what have you, but I am not comfortable (yet) with the idea.  I also don't have a good place to photograph my full body.  I may change my mind some other time but I hope my measurements will suffice.  Here is a further description of my physique for reference purposes:
     I am average in height but on the short side.  My body type is somewhere between an hourglass and a pear shape.  I have a defined waist and an overall very curvy body.  I also have a low belly (most of my fat is on my lower abdomen), heavy arms, and heavy thighs.  I wear a 36 or 38 C (sometimes even a 36D) bra and am not particularly busty-looking but am definitely not flat-chested.  I hope that helps a little bit.

     Unless you're the most confident person in this world (I envy you if you are), your weight has probably been an issue at least once in your life.  I will cover being overweight as well as underweight in future blog posts.  Keep in mind, however, this is not a blog strictly about one topic or another.  I will try my best to come back to the subject of weight, but after all, it is not the only important thing in my life.  Thanks for reading!

P.S.--I would most definitely appreciate topic suggestions as well as feedback.  Go for it!

Happy trails,

Sweeney

No comments:

Post a Comment